Sydenham Street United Church is an inviting haven in a hurried world. Part of the United Church of Canada, we are an Affirming congregation, celebrating more than 200 years of faith since our founding as a Methodist congregation in 1811.
Our activities are organized into three communities of interest within our congregation.
Engaging the Spirit – Deepening our spiritual relatedness through worship and caring for one another
We are committed to deepening our spiritual relatedness and honouring the worth of each individual by sharing relevant and meaningful worship & spiritual practices, extending hospitality, caring for one another, and small group ministry.
Since 1999, we have been an Affirming Congregation, intentionally welcoming and involving gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, and two-spirited people in our shared life and ministry.
These activities are supported by a strong music program.
Art and Soul – Nurturing the Congregation and the Arts Community
We recognize the soul-enhancing power of art of all kinds – music, theatre, visual arts, etc.
We have two goals:
- The first goal is to nurture the congregation through the incorporation of artistic experiences into worship and other congregational events.
- The second goal is to nurture the arts community in Kingston by providing space for artistic presentations (concerts, art shows, rehearsals, etc).
Social Justice and Outreach
- Assisting Children and Families in Kingston through the Helen Tufts Child Outreach Program, Food Voucher Program, Christmas Baskets, Community Garden @Sydenham Street, and a number of Self-Help Groups.
- Assisting in the World-wide Work of the Church through the Mission and Service Fund of the United Church of Canada
- Working with Others to Promote Social Justice at Home and Abroad by participation in Anti-poverty and Health Oriented Groups
- Support and Advocacy for Social Justice
- Participating in the Inter-church Refugee Partnership to sponsor refugee families